Bohannon in March 2017.
|Birth:||14 March 1910|
New Castle, Kentucky, USA
|Death:||5 July 2021|
Westside, Indianapolis, Indiana
|Age:||111 years, 113 days|
Early Life and Family
Bernice Bohannon was born on 14 March 1910 in New Castle, Kentucky, USA. She was the youngest of ten children born to Ollie Jackson and Olevia “Levia” Roberts. After her mother’s death in 1920, her father married Margaret “Maggie” Minor Scott, and she gained seven stepsiblings and, eventually, five half-siblings.
Bohannon attended public school in New Castle, where she met her future husband, Buford Bohannon. They married in 1926 and immediately moved to Indianapolis, Indiana, where her husband's sisters lived. They lived in various locations on the near northwest side of Indianapolis, near Fall Creek. They had three children: Clarence J. Bohannon (1927–2008), Lillian B. Campbell (1929–1970), and Buford Bohannon, Jr. (1930–1949). She worked as a seamstress and created tailored suits and furs. Her husband died in 1980.
Bernice Bohannon was a long-time member of Bethel AME Church in Indianapolis, where she has been involved with the Mary Campbell Missionary Society and the Birthday Club. At the age of 105, she participated in a women’s missionary club at the church, where she helped to work on craft projects and visited ill members. She was also a member of the Show and Tell Society and Heritage Place of Indianapolis.
Bohannon became the oldest known living person in Indiana on 27 May 2021, aged 111, following the death of 112-year-old Anna Garrett.
Bohannon lived in Near Westside, Indianapolis, Indiana. In March 2020, she celebrated her 110th birthday. On 16 March 2021, two days after her 111th birthday, she got vaccinated against Covid-19, making her one of the oldest people to receive the vaccine.
Bohannon died Near Westside, Indianapolis, Indiana on 5 July 2021 at the age of 111 years, 113 days.
- BERNICE BOHANNON, ORAL HISTORY INTERVIEW Indiana Historical Society, 11 August 2016
- 106-year-old Indianapolis woman knows the secrets to a long-lasting life Indianapolis News and Headlines, 11 March 2017
- Happy 110th Birthday to the most amazing woman I know- my Great Grandma Bohannon! Ali Wall on Facebook, 14 March 2020
- Indianapolis woman turns 111 Sunday WISH-TV, 14 March 2021
- CICOA client Bernice Bohannon, 111 years old, got her COVID vaccine today! CICOA on Twitter, 16 March 2021
- Obituary IndyStar, 14 July 2021