Kingston celebrating her 112th birthday in 2021
|Birth:||1 February 1909|
Farnborough, England, UK
|Death:||28 July 2021|
Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England, UK
|Age:||112 years, 177 days|
Gertrude Annie Kingston (née Brown; 1 February 1909 – 28 July 2021) was a British supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group. She was the oldest living person in the United Kingdom, from the death of Lilian Priest until her own death nearly two months later.
Kingston was born in Farnborough, Hampshire, England, UK on 1 February 1909. One of her earliest memories is her father leaving to fight in World War I. Her father was killed in 1917 after making his way out of the trenches in order to pay a visit to home.
As a young adult, Kingston learned to play the violin and the cello. In 1954, she started working for the School of Military Survey, where she met her future husband, Ernie Kingston. The couple were married for 23 years from February 1960 until Ernie's death in April 1983.
Kingston was a member of the Women’s Institute for much of her life, and for many years she typed out the newsletter for her village. In 2009, at the age of 100, she moved into a residential home in Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England. She became a supercentenarian in February 2019. Kingston has been the oldest living person in the United Kingdom since the death of Lilian Priest on 6 June 2021.
On 23 January 2021, Kingston received her first dose of the Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, making her one of the oldest people to receive the vaccine. She celebrated her 112th birthday nine days later on 1 February.
Kingston died in Woolton Hill, Hampshire, England, UK on 28 July 2021 at the age of 112 years, 177 days.
- All Validated British Supercentenarians Oldest in Britain
- Queen’s card puts royal seal on 105th birthday party Newbury Today, 12 February 2014
- Today I met Gertrude Kingston... @fi_tomas_ on Twitter, 4 February 2019
- West Berkshire resident celebrates 110th birthday Newbury Today, 9 February 2019
- Happy 111th Birthday to young Gertie. Enbridge House Care Home on Facebook, 1 February 2020
- 111-year-old Woolton Hill resident Gertie receives coronavirus vaccine Newbury Today, 23 January 2021
- Wishing Gertie a very Happy 112th Birthday... Enbridge House Care Home on Facebook, 1 February 2021
- North Hampshire resident celebrates 112th birthday with cake and champagne Newbury Today, 6 February 2021
- am so sad to say that Gertie Kingston (right) died last week aged 112 Richard van Emden on Twitter, 9 August 2021
- Gertie Kingston Obituary Legacy, 12 August 2021