|Birth:||17 November 1900|
Mariel, Artemisa Province, Cuba
|Death:||17 March 2011|
Coral Gables, Florida, USA
|Age:||110 years, 120 days|
Gertrudis Balsinde was born in Mariel, Artemisa Province, Cuba on 17 November 1900. She was the oldest of five siblings: the other four died in Cuba at ages between 90 to 100 years. Her father was not present at her upbringing. Her mother died during surgery at age 48. Her grandmother Genoveva, whose parents were African slaves taken to Cuba by Spanish colonizers, lived to be 108.
Balsinde started working at age 10 doing domestic work and she had five children. She moved to Miami in 1970.
Her first husband died at age 39. Her the second husband died at age 83. Her eldest son died around 2000 at age 72. Her other two children died at ages 76 and 74 respectively.
In November 2010, she celebrated her 110th birthday. At time, her oldest granddaughter was 54 years and her oldest great-grandson was 27 years.
She lived with her oldest daughter Mirelles Williams (aged 77 in 2010).
Gertrudis Balsinde died at Coral Gables Hospital of natural causes in Coral Gables, Florida, USA on 17 March 2011 at the age of 110 years, 120 days. She was survived by three children Mirelles Williams, Eumelia Hernández and Sergio Balsinde; eight grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.
- Gertrudis Ledesma MyHeritage
- Gertrudis Balsinde 1900-2011 Ancestry®
- Bisabuela de 109 años guarda el secreto de su longevidad El Nuevo Herald, 24 October 2010
- Miami Woman Celebrates Her 110th Birthday The Ledger, 23 November 2010
- Gertrudis Balsinde, oldest South Florida resident, dies at 110 Sun Sentinel, 21 March 2011
- Mrs Gertrudis Balsinde Find A Grave