Cropsey at the age of 110
|Birth:||4 September 1911|
Oakland, California, USA
|Age:||110 years, 141 days|
Giles Burrett "Bud" Cropsey, Jr. (born 4 September 1911) is an American supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). He currently is the oldest known living man in the US state of California (excluding the case of Francis Zouein).
Giles Cropsey was born in Oakland, California, USA on 4 September 1911. His parents were Giles Cropsey, Sr. (1884–1947) and Annie Faria (1886–1989). He had two siblings: Myron Cropsey (1910–2011) and Errol Cropsey (1913–2006). He graduated from Roosevelt Middle School in 1929.
He was a percussionist with the Marin Symphony, and where he met his future wife, Marie, a concert pianist. He married Marie Cassetta (1913–1999) on 24 September 1938. The couple had three children (including Duane Cropsey).
He worked as a public accountant with the firm John F. Forbes & Co, which eventually merged with KPMG. He worked for 40 years until he retired.
He worked with kids in music and taught piano for free at Oakland schools. He also went into farming. For 20 years, he and his son Duane worked in the walnut farming business together.
There was also a history of longevity in his family: his mother lived to be 102, his brother Myron lived to be 101 and his brother Errol lived to be 92. In addition, his maternal great-grandmother Phila Maria Rule (1820–1914) lived to be 92, as well as Rule's great-grandfather Zephaniah Robinson (1723–1817), and Rule had many octogenarians in her family.
As of December 2021, he has beginning dementia.
Cropsey currently lives at Sunrise Senior Living facility in Oakland, California, USA, at the age of 110 years, 141 days.
- Giles Burrett Cropsey, Sr. Find A Grave
- Errol Ellsworth Cropsey Find A Grave
- Symphony celebrates 99-year-old Oakland music teacher Oakland North, 20 October 2010
- Myron Cropsey Obituary The Oregonian (Legacy), 25 March 2011
- Myron George Cropsey Find A Grave
- 'Park Supervisor wishing Giles Cropsey a happy 100th Birthday today' Joel Schantz (Twitter), 4 September 2011
- 114 year-old Berkeley woman, 110 year-old Oakland man make up the 'oldest living' in the state KTVU FOX 2, 13 December 2021