Sharp on his 111th birthday in 2020
|Birth:||21 December 1909|
Blond, Louisiana, USA
|Death:||2 March 2021|
Covington, Louisiana, USA
|Age:||111 years, 71 days|
Early Life and Family
Sharp was born on 21 December 1909 in Blond community, St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. He was one of 12 children born to Robert and Della Sharp. He worked the land most of his life, both as a trapper and cattle herder before his retirement in 1995. Sharp was married twice; his first wife, Beatrice, died in 1969 at the age of 56, and his second wife, Edna, also predeceased him.
Sharp has one daughter, Shirley McClain, who was aged 81 in 2019. At the time of his death in 2021, Sharp had one grandson, one great-granddaughter, and two great-great grandsons.
Later Life and Death
In his later life, Sharp lived with his daughter Shirley and his son-in-law George in Covington, Louisiana. As of July 2019, at the age of 109, he was still able to drive and lived on his own. He was capable of walking unassisted until a fall shortly before his 110th birthday, and could still get around with the aid of a walker as of 2020. In February 2021, at the age of 111, he received his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Sharp died in Covington, Louisiana on 2 March 2021 at the age of 111 years, 71 days. At the time of his death, he was the second-oldest known living man in the United States, after Lawrence Brooks; the pair were also the two oldest living people in the state of Louisiana.
- Covington names 103-year-old cattleman as city's oldest resident NOLA.com, 26 June 2013
- At 108, Louisiana Co-op’s Oldest Member Still Drives, Attends Annual Meetings Cooperative.com, 18 June 2018
- Easy Rider: 109-year-old Covington man still on the go WVUE, 8 July 2019
- 110th birthday New Zion Baptist Church, 21 December 2019
- At 110 years old, Philip Sharp still knows exactly what he wants every Thursday NOLA.com, 1 February 2020
- Meet Philip Sharp Inside Northside Magazine, 23 February 2020
- 111th birthday Facebook Post, 21 December 2020
- Covington resident Philip Sharp, who is 111 years old, recently received his second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at Ochsner Health Center - Covington Facebook Post, 5 February 2021
- Mr. Philip Sharp passed this morning at 4:10 AM... Buddy Lee on Facebook, 2 March 2021
- Philip Alfred Sharp Obituary Tribute Archive