Spires on her 110th birthday in 2020
|Birth:||10 April 1910|
Jackson County, Florida, USA
|Age:||111 years, 236 days|
Sarah Purdee Spires (née Purdee; born 10 April 1910) is an American supercentenarian whose age is currently unvalidated by the Gerontology Research Group (GRG). She is currently the oldest living person who was born in the U.S. state of Florida. However, she is not the oldest person living in Florida, since Maude Harris, who was born in Minnesota, is three years older than her.
Spires was born in Jackson County, Florida, USA on 10 April 1910. Her parents were Armstrong Purdee, the first black lawyer of Jackson County, and Gracie (née White) Purdee. She is the only surviving child out of three siblings and an adopted sister. Her grandmother Francis White was a full-blooded Seminole Indian.
She married her husband Willie E. Spires on 19 February 1934. The couple had ten children (three deceased as of April 2020). Her husband died in 1956.
She celebrated her 110th birthday in April 2020. On 16 March 2021, aged 110, she got vaccinated against Covid-19, making her one of the oldest people to receive the vaccine.
Spires currently lives in Marianna, Florida, USA, at the age of 111 years, 236 days.
- Armstrong Purdee Find A Grave
- Marriage Record FamilySearch
- 105th Birthday Celebration for Jackson County Centenarian Dothan Eagle, 17 April 2015
- 108th birthday Facebook Post, 10 April 2018
- 110th birthday Facebook Post, 10 April 2020
- Supercentenarian Sarah Purdee Spires celebrates 110th birthday Dothan Eagle, 18 April 2020
- 110-year-old gets Covid-19 shot in Marianna Dothan Eagle, 18 March 2021
- Birthday in style: Marianna woman celebrates 111th birthday with drive-by party WCTV, 11 April 2021