Hinds on her 111th birthday in 2021
|Birth:||22 October 1910|
Webb City, Missouri, USA
|Age:||111 years, 296 days|
Velma Hinds was born in Webb City, Missouri, USA on 22 October 1910. Her parents were Frank Woods and Cora (née Weaver) Woods. She had 13 siblings. She married William Hinds in Miami, Oklahoma, USA on 2 February 1935. The couple had two daughters: Clerenda Sue (born c.1937) and Carol Jane (born c.1940).
Hinds has been an active member of the Church of God Holiness. Her secret to longevity is milk, laughter, kindness, more milk and her love of Jesus. On her 111th birthday in 2021, the Mayor of Macon James "Talt" Holman declared her birthday "Velma Hinds Day". As of October 2021, she had eight grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren.
There was also a history of longevity in Hinds' family: her mother lived to be 99, her sister Edith Smith (1901–1995) lived to be 93, Edith's twin sister Ethel Scoles (1901–2003) lived to be 101 and her brother Walter Woods (1915–2017) lived to be 101.
Hinds currently lives in Macon, Missouri, USA, at the age of 111 years, 296 days. She lived in the same nursing home as Naomi Curtright, who died in 2019 at the age of 110. She is currently the second-oldest known living person in Missouri, behind Rachel Kohl.
- Cora Ida Woods Find A Grave
- Edith Ellen Smith 1901-1995 Obituary The Tri-State Tribune (Newspapers), 26 January 1995
- Ethel Woods Scoles Obituary GenLookups, 23 January 2003
- 30th Annual Woods Reunion Johnstown Albertsons, 28 June 2011
- Walter Woods Obituary Dignity Memorial, 16 June 2017
- Happy Velma Hinds Day! Loch Haven Senior Living Community (Facebook), 22 October 2021